Wednesday, October 12, 2011

SOME VERY EXPENSIVE SILICONE

What a long day this was.  Got up at the crack of dawn.  Gulped down some breakfast and got dressed.  Fed the dog.  Walked the dog.  Groomed the dog.  Unhooked the coach and headed out for Dixie RV to get the leaky window fixed.  Got there at 8:00.  Went to the service department and asked for Adam.  He filled out a service order and took the coach into a stall by 8:30. WOW... I was impressed.

I put the Shih Tzu in her doggie stroller and loaded it up with lunch, water, and her dog food.  She stayed in her stroller and got lots of attention while I shopped at Camping World.  Bought a pet basket for the front of my bike, a wind sock, and a tire gauge.

Then I walked around the grounds and let Xi Shi walk in the grass.  She enjoyed that.  We found a picnic table on the outskirts of the property and stayed there for awhile.  Then we went back inside Dixie RV and after looking at some of the RVs - sat in their showroom for the next few hours. 

Finally, Adam came out and said that it appeared to be some cracked caulking at the top of the window.  They sealed it and he was waiting for the sealant to dry and then he was going to test again for leaks.  A couple of hours later it was ready.  We left at 2:00pm and headed for home.  Got home at 4:00.  Waiting is very tiring.  Even Xi Shi appeared exhausted and fell asleep in the coach and slept all the way home.

The cost was $220.00.  My shopping was $82.00.  My campground stay was $29.00.  Total of $331 not counting fuel.  Pretty expensive trip.
Adam explained that I could do the same type of repair using clear, exterior silicone around the edges of the rubber window seals.  Yep.. you bet I will.

No photos... left the camera in the coach.


5 comments:

  1. Oh ouch! I recaulked my entire RV last spring. Was a lot of work, but way cheaper for me that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now you know....still better than letting it go and getting water inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi TexCyn... I sure will be doing that for myself in the future. I didn't feel comfortable caulking around the fiberglass finish but I will do my best next time.

    Hi City Gal... Yes, now I know. Learn something every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog and really love the "edge-dweller" post. It sums up so much for me. I am currently not an Rver, although it is my plan to start RVing and traveling around ASAP!
    Thanks for the great insight into living on the edge, its inspirational! I have become a follower of your blog- keep it coming--LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janine,

    Welcome to my blog. I joined on your blog as well. Ah yes... living on the edge... I've been an edge dweller in my life but in spurts. At times I've had to come in from the edge and get my balance. However, the edge has always called out to me. Come closer... it's alright... you can do it. But when you're not balanced you do fear falling and certain doom. So a little balance is needed. Then the edge doesn't seem so scary.

    You'll know when you're ready. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete