Friday, March 23, 2012

POVERTY POINT RESERVOIR STATE PARK - DELHI, LA

Left Lake Bruin around 10:00 this morning.  Got gas and some fried fish for lunch.  Got to Poverty Point around noon. 

This 2700 acre park has a man-made lake as well as the Marsden Mound Trails, a group of 5 earthen, Neo-Indian mounds, dating from the Tchefuncte through the Coles Creek civilizations and possibly later.  I'll try and get photos of that area tomorrow.


Rode around the reservoir and looked at the cabins - then went to my site.  I had reserved a pull-through site but had no idea what it would look like.  I was very impressed when I pulled into site #42.  It is the only site in this loop with shade.  It has a deck and a fence to seperate the wooded area from the site.  As I drove through the first loop I noticed the sites were close together so thought that loop two would be the same.  I really lucked out.

This part of the loop is really spacious.  That's me in the background.




Xi Shi and I took a walk around our area and noted several hiking trails.  We walked down into the one closest to our site but it was muddy and we turned around and came back up. 



Walked through our loop and found a few sites that are really secluded and private.  Sites 44, 45, and 46 have trees between them providing lots of privacy.

Sites 45 and 46 seperated by trees.


Later I rode my bike a little further into the loop and noticed a walking path to water near site 51.  I'll check that out tomorrow.

We sat out on the deck and I read for awhile.  It's cool and the sun is feeling so good.  It's a beautiful day.  I really like my site.  It's so private.

8 comments:

  1. It's always a mystery as to what our sites will be when we get there. I never thought about going around to check out other sites, I guess I figure I have so many places I want to visit, that I may not be coming back to the same place again. Looks like you got lucky with this site. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri... At first I wanted to find the best sites in all of the Louisiana State Parks for my future reference. However, I now find myself wanting to share this info with others who may pass this way in their travels. It's kinda my job now ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful site, perfect for you! It's so nice to pull in and see that you have the perfect place.

    Sitting in the shade reading sounds so good. Not a lot of shade here at Quartzsite, except the shade cast by our rigs. But in the mornings and evenings, sitting outside is really nice this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara... I try and pick out a good spot using ReserveAmerica. Their maps are a great way to see your exact location in the park. However, not all maps provide photos of the site. So it is nice to pull in and see that you made a good choice.

      Looks like you are enjoying Quartzsite. I'm not a desert person but lots of folks seem to like the area your in.

      Delete
  3. I stayed there last Fall and love it. I will be curious to see where you put it in your rankings. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris... I seem to remember reading about your stay here on your Facebook page. I have placed it at #8 because it does not have any RV sites near the water. The campgrounds ranking above it do have sites near water. Fontainebleau State Park at #7 does not have RV sites near water but it has a beach nearby. So I placed Poverty Point after that one. This is a large park and spread out a bit. Tomorrow I'll check out the trail I saw today that looks like it leads to water. If it does, that may change my rating. There is another side to this campground that is too far to walk to or ride my bike to. So, when I leave I'll ride over in the coach and take some photos. There is supposed to be a place to go swimming somewhere near a boat launch. We'll see.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been reading much lately and trying to catch up now a little each day.

    What pretty places you have been going to. I love lakes or any body of water really. Your pictures are great.
    Glad the rain finally stopped for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JOJO... Thanks for the compliment on the photos. Most all my photos are taken with my iPhone. It's so easy to carry in my pocket. However, my Nikon D80 takes much better photos but is bulky to carry around. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete