Wednesday, December 19, 2012

CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS - BACK TO THE SCENE OF A CRIME

Packed up the coach and headed out of the park around 10:00 this morning.  Emptied my tanks, filled up the fuel tank and headed for Corpus Christi.

In 1934 my father's brother was shot at his home on 1124 Chapaaral Street in Corpus Christi, Texas.  He later died at a local hospital from a gunshot would to the forehead.  My grandmother and my father were in the home when they heard the shot.  My dad was only 16 years old at the time but it affected him for the rest of his life.  He kept a photo of his brother in his home till he died and I now have that photo displayed in my home.  Lowen married his sweetheart only 5 weeks before his death.


Today, I rode to Corpus Christi and my GPS took me to that address on Chapaaral.  There were no houses.  It was not a residential district any longer.  It is in a very nice part of town a block or so from the bay and all the expensive hotels.  I can only imagine what it looked like back in 1934 when my dad lived there with his family.  It was not at all what I expected.


This is where my GPS took me.

I rode by the Yacht Club.

Found a little park near the bay and took a few photos.  It was so windy that I could barely open my door. 

You can see the USS Lexington in the background.

On 15 June 1992, the ship was donated as a museum and now operates as the USS Lexington Museum on the Bay at 27°48'53 N, 97°23'19, 2914 North Shoreline Blvd, Corpus Christi, Texas.   In 2003, Lexington was designated a National Historic Landmark.

The Japanese referred to Lexington as a "ghost" ship for her tendency to reappear after reportedly being sunk. This, coupled with the ship's dark blue camouflage scheme, led the crew to refer to her as "The Blue Ghost".

On the way back to Port Aransas I stopped at a store for a few items and couldn't resist these colorful socks.

My little Xi Shi was sick a few days ago but is feeling better now and back in her co-pilot seat.

I was going to spend a couple of nights back on the beach but with this cold front coming in, the winds are really blowing strong so I came back to my spot at the RV Park at I B Magee and paid for 2 more nights.  Then I'll be leaving Port Aransas.


No comments:

Post a Comment